|Our team is committed to serving the
legal needs of the non-profit sector and is proud to share our expertise with
tax-exempt organizations and individual philanthropists alike. At Keith &
Associates, we take the time to understand the specific needs of our clients
and provide tailored, practical solutions to the challenges associated with
formation, development and compliance. Our team has formed over 100 tax-exempt
organizations, the overwhelming majority of which we still serve. We currently
assist tax-exempt organizations across 30 states in meeting their ongoing
compliance and reporting duties. Our clients appreciate that the same team
members who helped form their organizations are available to assist with
compliance, regulatory and reporting matters, such as annual reports and tax
private and family foundations, trade associations and public charities
including regional museums, arts/culture foundations, conservations,
civic/community centers, religious/faith-based institutions, educational
organizations and healthcare providers.
We currently represent over 50
professional athlete foundations. Among our athlete clients are multiple Walter Peyton NFL Man of the Year
recipients and nominees, an NFL Super Bowl Most Valuable Player, an NBA
Most Valuable Player, multiple NBA All-Stars and multiple Major League
Baseball Hall of Famers.
Areas of Focus
Tax-Exempt Organization Formation
- Form and organize the non-profit organizations in the proper jurisdictions, providing each client with a strong base from which they can grow their organizations.
- Develop specific plans with long-term goals for each client, aimed at his or her individual needs.
- Assist clients in their preparation of applications for federal tax-exempt status under multiple sections of the Internal Revenue Code, including 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4).
Non-Profit & Charity Compliance
- Ensure our clients comply with all federal and state registration and filing requirements.
- Provide periodic updates to clients on state-specific changes that may affect their entity.
Corporate Governance, Director Duties, & Conflicts of Interest
- Aid clients in the creation of governing documents that are comprehensive and coherent, including bylaws and conflict of interest policies.
- Counsel directors and officers on their fiduciary duties and assist in implementing the best governance practices.
Donor-Advised Funds, Charitable Trusts & Other Philanthropic Vehicles
- Help philanthropic clients establish Donor-Advised Funds so they may direct the use of a current charitable gift in the future.
- Prepare and draft Charitable Remainder Trusts, Charitable Lead Trusts, Charitable Annuities and Gifts of Life Insurance to meet each Client’s distinctive giving needs.
Fundraising & Charitable Solicitation
- Track and properly report the results of clients’ fundraising efforts.
- Advise clients in structuring tax-exempt organizations that may engage in political activities, including affiliations and cross-classification collaborations in which multiple entities collaborate to further a common political motive.
Federal and State Income Tax Compliance
- Prepare tax-exempt organizations’ returns (IRS Forms 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF and 990-N).
- Offer guidance on related and unrelated business activities.
- Reconcile federal returns with the financial reports required by various states.
SEND US A MESSAGE